If you are interested in self-employment but not sure which industry to pursue, consider businesses catering to the booming senior population and underserved individuals with physical disabilities.
A 101 Mobility® franchised business is an option for entrepreneurs who want to serve this large demographic without entering the over-saturated home-care industry. If you have not yet considered opening a business that provides people with disabilities or older members of your community with mobility solutions, these facts will make you think twice:
- People with physical disabilities make up the largest minority group of the US.1
- 3% of American adults are unable (or find it very difficult) to walk a quarter mile.2
- 2 million adults experience physical functioning difficulty.2
- 6 million Americans require the use of a wheelchair.3
- Nearly 1 out of ten people experience difficulty climbing the stairs. 3
- Assistive technology is vital to more than a third of people with disabilities.4
- 1 in 4 of today’s 20 year olds will become disabled before they retire.6
- In the US, 25.6% of people with a disability are physically inactive during the week, compared to 12.8% of those without a disability.7
- The prevalence of physical limitations more than doubles from 17% of adults aged 50-59 to 43% by the time they reach the age of 80.5
- More than 1 in 10 senior citizens age 75+ require the aid of a caregiver for personal care.2
- The 65+ year old population in the US has increased by over 18% since 2000.8
- Almost half of older women (46%) age 75+ live alone, many with physical limitations.8
- According to the US Census, in just fifteen years, the rate of elderly in the U.S. will climb to be almost equivalent that of U.S. children.3
- According to AARP reports, nearly 9 out of 10 Americans age 65 and older want to age in place.9
With large numbers of Americans living with mobility challenges, there is a great demand for products and services to help them lead independent and active lives. For more demographic information, read: “Market Outlook: Retiring Baby Boomers”.
Get an overview of the first-class support offered to 101 Mobility® franchisees by checking out “101 Mobility: The Facts”. Are you on LinkedIn? Follow our Company Page to say current on the latest happenings at 101 Mobility.
The statistics referenced above are all derived from third-party sources, as cited below, and have not been independently verified by us.
- http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p70-131.pdf (Specifically, 9.2% of adults age 15 or older experience difficulty climbing stairs).
- Disability Funders Network. “Disability Stats and Facts.” 2012. Web Accessed November 10, 2014.
- Council For Disability Awareness. “Disability statistics.” July 3, 2013. Web Accessed November 10, 2014.
- President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. “Physical Activity.” 2014. Web Accessed November 10, 2014.