It’s the beginning of 2016, and you know what that means… New Year’s Resolutions! Although many people plan to better themselves in an assortment of ways, there’s one resolution that’s always at the top of the list: losing weight. And, rest assured, there are more diet/exercise tips floating around to keep most people busy throughout the entire year.
However, there are few resources out there for wheelchair users to find their own exercise routine, an important part of staying in shape. So at 101 Mobility®, we decided to compile information from the Web to show that exercise is for people of all abilities (and comes with plenty of benefits)!
Benefits of Exercising While in a Wheelchair
- Increase your endurance
- Alleviate muscle/joint pains
- Improve balance
- Prevent injury
- Build muscle/bone mass
- Enhance your range of motion
Best Wheelchair Exercise Videos on YouTube
Check out some of these amazing Wheelchair Exercise or Seated Exercise videos from YouTube.
- Seated Cardio Workout: Burn Calories Exercising from a Chair: SparkPeople has plenty of videos that can be done either individually or combined for maximum effect. Coach Nicole is easy to follow as she goes through this cardio workout to help wheelchair users burn calories.
- Chair Workout: Seated Cardio: Fun and upbeat, Jessica Smith’s video will help you to pump up the volume as you push through a 40-minute cardio workout.
- Disability Gym Workout: Rob Smith truly delivers in this instructional workout video that goes through how he performs a variety of exercises using free weights, weight machines, cable and pulley machines,s and the TRX system.
- Aerobic Exercise for Individuals with Tetraplegia: Although the video was developed for those with tetraplegia, anyone in a wheelchair or power chair can get a great workout from these aerobic exercises.
- Seated Aerobics Exercise Class: After this 38-minute aerobics class, you’ll definitely feel the burn while you enjoy the simple moves from the instructor – as well as the upbeat music!
- Exercise Video for People with Intellectual and Physical Disabilities: This video offers features exercises that improve flexibility, strength, and cardio-respiratory endurance for both able-bodied and disabled individuals.
- Ab Exercises for Disabled or Wheelchair Users: Throughout this 10-minute video, Trainer Martin Rowlands instructs Mo Kahn, who is wheelchair-bound, how to perform exercises to strengthen his abs.
- Seated Abs Workout: Chair Exercises for Your Core: We’ve got to admit, these SparkPeople videos are great! High-quality, great sound, and easy to understand. Check out Coach Nicole’s video on working out your core while seated.
Exercising from your Wheelchair or Power Chair: Safety First
If you have a medical condition, you might want to consult with a doctor before starting any new fitness program. While exercising in a wheelchair, when possible, be sure to have an instructor, caregiver, or partner present. Be sure not to exhaust your body to the point that you feel any kind of pain!
Did you find these tips helpful? Take your routine even further by checking out our post on Wheelchair Yoga!
Thanks for checking out our wheelchair workout videos! Comment and let us know what workouts you use to stay in shape. And, of course, if you’re looking to increase mobility at your home or on-the-go, we’re here to help. Visit us online at 101mobility.com.