Want to know the shocking truth about your bathroom?
When it comes to aging in place, there’s no enemy greater to your safety than your bathroom.
Although you might consider your bathroom a relaxing oasis whenever you’re soaking in the tub or taking a shower, the truth is for many seniors this is the part of the home with “disaster” written all over it.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in three seniors will experience a fall somewhere in their home during their last years. Interested to know where 80% of those falls occur? You guessed it: the bathroom.
And what’s the most dangerous part of the bathroom? It turns out the shower is the main culprit for at-home falls, whether someone is entered or exiting. That’s because even a tiny amount of water on the ground or being slightly off-balance can cause someone to slip and incur a serious injury.
At 101 Mobility®, we offer a wide variety of solutions to help individuals age safely within the comfort of their own homes.
That’s why we decided to offer up a few products and tips on how to optimize your bathroom safety:
You might be surprised to learn that there are tons of innovative products and services on the market today to help people age in place at home.
For example, seniors might want to consider adding to their current bathroom:
- GrabBars – helps users regain balance anywhere in the bathroom (great for showers)
- Toilet Safety Frame – helps users find stability as they sit down and get up from the toilet
- Transfer Benches – helps users transition from sitting to standing in the shower
- Water-Tight Bath Tub Door – helps users safely enter and exit their tub without having to step over a threshold
These are just a few examples of products that can make a really big difference in the home. When considering the damage a fall can cause, purchasing one of these products could very well save your life.
There are a few more tips that can benefit anyone looking to safely age in place. According to a helpful SeniorsMatter.com article, one may also want to look into:
- Installing washable wall-to-wall carpet designed specifically for bathroom floors to avoid slips
- Removing locks from the bathroom doors to allow for quicker entrance if needed
- Putting foam rubber covers on the faucet/other obstructions for protection in case a fall occurs
- Installing grab bars that contrast to the wall’s color in order to make them easier to find
Do you have any more helpful products or tips that you would add to these lists? If so, let us know by leaving a comment below!
About 101 Mobility®
101 Mobility® is a full-service franchise business that specializes in mobility and accessibility equipment. Products include stair lifts, ramps, auto lifts, patient lifts, pool lifts, bath lifts, vertical platform lifts, and more.
101 Mobility® franchisees are supplied with geo-specific online marketing campaigns, in-person training, on-going support, and a proprietary business management platform.
Visit 101Mobility.com to learn more and visit 101 Mobility®Franchise.com to find more information about our franchise process.