Make a Difference
Army SSG Alex Dillmann was on a night mission when his truck rolled over an IED in Afghanistan. The blast killed one soldier and left four others, including SSG Dillmann, with severe injuries. Alex suffered from broken and fractured bones, internal injuries, and lacerations. Fractures to his vertebra resulted in paraplegia from the chest down. SSG Dillmann is one of the estimated million US military service members who have been wounded in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars(International Business Times).
Thousands of injured combat veterans have come home from deployments, ending up in a house with extremely limited access.
What We’re Doing
Homes for Our Troops (HFOT) is a nonprofit dedicated to building accessible homes for heroes across the country. They bring local businesses and volunteers from the communities they touch to raise money, get building materials, and coordinate labor. SSG Alex Dillmann will celebrate his homecoming this month thanks to Home for Our Troops.
Here’s how we got involved:
- Homes for Our Troops Tampa contractor, Aziz Construction, needed a porch lift so that Alex could get from ground level to his back door at the push of a button – while remaining in his wheelchair.
- Moved by SSG Dillmann’s story, Dennis Clouser of 101 Mobility® Tampa went directly to his manufacturer, Harmar, and saw to it that the porch lift—along with the installation—was installed at no cost to HFOT.
- The porch lift is just a small piece of the project. Get details on all the new digs HERE.
What You Can Do
SSG Dillmann will receive the key to his new house today… but there’s still time for you to make a difference! HFOT is handing over new house keys to twelve veterans in a nineteen-day cross-country tour ending in Burrillville, RI on December 21.
- We need your decorating skills! If you have Christmas lights, DIY wreath talent, or a hammer – you can help!
- Spread the word! Veterans Administration Specially Adapted Housing Grants provide eligible veterans or service members with a maximum amount of $64,960 to add accessible features.
- Calling all restaurant owners! HFOT is always looking for ways to feed hungry and hardworking volunteers.
- Lace-up your running shoes, collect a team and hit the track to raise funds for future projects.
Ready to make a difference in the life of a hero? Click HERE.