This is it! This is the year that you are going to make that New Year’s resolution stick. It’s tough. We know. But making that commitment to yourself, and possibly your loved ones is important. Finding strategies for success is crucial. Here are some tips that can help you get and stay on track with keeping your New Year’s resolution.
- Talk it Up! It’s a bit like peer pressure. The more people you tell about your resolution, the more likely you are to keep it. If you know that all your friends and family are going to be checking in to see how your progress is coming, you are more likely to keep to your new routine.
- Remind Yourself. A few helpful reminders of your goal posted around the house may be just the trick to keep you motivated. If you are trying to lose weight, post a note on the fridge reminding you of your goal so you think twice before going for a snack. Trying to exercise more? Post a note on the remote control so every time you pick it up you are reminded that you could be up to taking a walk around the block.
- Keep it Manageable. Remember that you can ease into your resolution. If you are trying to pay off your credit card bill, set your goal as paying an additional $100 each month. If you can meet that goal, you will achieve your end result. Want to lose some weight, set a weekly goal that is attainable as opposed to looking at the total amount you want to lose.
- Allow for a Slide. It’s not going to be perfect, your ride to this new goal. Give yourself permission to mess up. Know that tomorrow is another day and that you can start fresh.
- Reward Your Self. When you’ve reached a milestone on your road to success, reward yourself. When you lose that first 10 pounds, buy yourself a new outfit. When you cut out a pack of cigarettes, treat yourself to that show you’ve dying to see.
Conventional wisdom says it takes between 21 and 31 days to create a habit. If you start today, within a month your New Year’s resolution could be part of your new everyday routine. How great would that be? Good luck! We know you can do it!